Monday, March 10, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl



I thought this movie was pretty good considering you already know the ending. I don't agree with what most of the critics say about this movie where the actresses' roles should be switched. I think both girls do a great job in their respective roles. For those people who don't think the Natalie Portman can play deceptive character you need to see the movie Closer. She does an excellent job in that movie. I think the Scarlett Johansson does a great job of playing the innocent and 'good' sister. I think that the king's character is a bit of a wuss not to say that Eric Bana did a bad job of portraying it if that was the writer or director's intention. It is scary to think that pretty girls could have that much influence over the decisions of an entire kingdom. I think this movie shows how weak guys can be sometimes when they aren't thinking clearly. It almost always ends in disaster. I love seeing a woman in a powerful position. But this movie also showcases how easily you can lose that control and how devastating it can be to one day have a man completely obsessed with you and then the next he can't stand you. This movie also touches on the idea that if the method in which you gained his affections were dishonest or corrupt that is all you can expect from him. Anyway, I thought this movie did a good job of portraying famous historical story in a fresher light. Definitely makes me want to read the book that this movie is based off of.

2 comments:

Lisa Mandina said...

Loved this movie, and the book was even better. Did I give you the book yet?

-S said...

Yeah. I read it. It is a toss up for me which was better the book or the movie. I know you thought the book was better but I am not sure.